Same Day Service!


How Inhaling Mold Can Harm Your Health

Posted in Blog | Indoor Air Quality | Mold Inspection on February 7th, 2014 by Hunter Adams

Mold comes in all colors and varieties. It can be small black spots, large white, fuzzy patches and can be orange or purple or green. It looks unsightly no matter what form it comes in, and it can cause much more harm to you than just looking gross. If not properly dealt with, you can become seriously ill from the contamination.

Mold can irritate your asthma and allergies, making you cough and sneeze, and exposure can aggravate more than lungs, including your eyes, skin, nose and throat. If you have an allergy to mold, reactions can happen when you touch or even inhale mold spores. Mold can travel through the air all over your house, so proximity isn’t necessarily a factor in the allergic reaction, although it may be worse the closer and more spores you inhale.

These reactions can cause skin rash, itchy eyes, runny nose and sneezing. In even more severe cases of allergy, exposure can cause shortness of breath and asthma attacks.

Children and the elderly are extremely sensitive to exposure, as are individuals with lowered immune systems and lung or breathing issues.

Mold is everywhere, so you are exposed to small, usually harmless amounts every day, but ridding your home of moisture can prevent mold growth, which can lead to the toxic amounts that cause illness.

To learn more about the dangers of mold and how to get a full service home inspection, call 301-717-1454.